Read the latest state agency news relating to COVID-19 in Nebraska.
April 10, 2020
- A second public hearing for new proposed Title 392 Child Care Subsidy regulations was held today. The new CCDF plan addresses changes needed to bring Nebraska into compliance with federal regulations. The first public hearing was in October 2019, and a few minor changes made a second hearing necessary. First Five Nebraska and the Nebraska Children and Families Foundation submitted a letter voicing support for many of the proposed regulatory changes.
April 8, 2020
- Directed Health Measures (DHMs) have been translated in Spanish and Vietnamese, and are now available for Douglas, Cass, Sarpy and Lancaster counties.
April 7, 2020
- The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services has released advice to help parents speak to their children about the coronavirus outbreak. With children out of school, perhaps not attending child care and not visiting friends and family, they will know something is wrong and have questions. DHHS also includes resources for parents who are feeling overwhelmed by the ongoing public health emergency.
April 2, 2020
On Wednesday, April 1, Governor Pete Ricketts issued a directive closing Nebraska schools through May 31. Districts will complete the balance of the academic year by implementing remote instruction practices.
April 1, 2020
- Our FAQ: Early Childhood Program Class Size during COVID-19 looks at federal and state guidance on class sizes in different types of chlld care settings, explains Directed Health Measure and whether they apply to existing chlid care environments and those that may be started during the COVID-19 emergency.
March 30, 2020
- In response to COVID-19, the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture has loosened regulations temporarily to allow WIC appointments to be conducted over the phone, including applying for WIC. Nebr aska WIC provides food, breastfeeding support, nutrition information and referrals to pregnant women, new mothers, infants and children under age 5. http://dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/Local-WIC-Offices-Offer-Flexibility-during-COVID-19-Pandemic.aspx
March 25, 2020
- DHHS has issued updated COVID-19 guidance for schools and child care facilities, available on the DHHS website. The agency and Governor Ricketts are also reviewing potential administrative changes to help facilies and child care businesses as they cope with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The planned second hearing for the Child Care Development Fund (CCDF) meeting will be held April 10 at 10 a.m. Participants will be limited to 8 people to align with CDC guidelines. Those wishing to comment or listen to the hearing can join by phone by calling 888-820-1398, with participant code 3213662#. Comments can be sent by mail, fax, or email no later than April 10 to: DHHS Legal Services, P.O. Box 95026, Lincoln, NE 68509-5026; 402-742-2382 or email@example.com.
- Read First Five Nebraska's letter in support of the updated plan
- State Education Commissioner Matt Blomstedt recommended that schools “not return to normal operations this year” in a letter to public and private school superintendents.